Sunday, February 21, 2010

Truitt's Preschool

This past week we went on a tour of Truitt's new Preschool he will be going to this fall. It is an Early Childhood Learning Center funded through Franklin County Developmental Disabilities.

I was very surprised by the facility, it is everything a parent would ever want for a child with special needs. Each classroom is adaptable for every child, and they have many therapy rooms, complete with state of the art therapy equipment.

Truitt will go two or three days a week (depending which classroom he is in), for 3 hours a day. While there he will receive speech, physical and occupational therapy. He will be included in every activity regardless of his ability. He will always have a helper.

Although I know it will be so good for him, it is becoming really hard for me to think about him being there without me. Maybe I would feel this way if he were healthy too, but there is just something about him and his condition that seems to be making it really hard on me. I sort of feel like because he is still so young, and is developmentally like a six month old baby, it breaks my heart to think of pawning him off to a preschool for a few hours a day.

I know it will do wonders for him. He needs it, and I want whats best for him. All of his therapists highly recommend him going. I trust their judgment, but it doesn't make it any easier.

He's my life.

I guess I just don't like thinking about ever being without him.

Here are a few pictures of our visit.



They have various walkers, standers, wheelchairs and special seating for kids to use while they are there. Truitt got to try out this walker. He loved it until he sneezed and knocked his head into the round handles. Poor guy!


Before we left, I got to hold a snake! There was a reptile guy there showing the kids all kinds of cool creatures. After he put the snake away, he pulled out a baby alligator. I was so sad I didn't get to hold him, he was a cutie!


A horrible picture of me (thanks to a double chin from the snake, not that I'm skinny anyways, ha!), but there's my belly. In case you were wondering, it is getting very BIG!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trust me Lauren- it never matters the circumstances you will always have a hard time leaving your children. It's so hard to trust others with the love of your life! But hopefully, as good as it will be for Truitt it will also be good for you. A little break and bonding time with Truitt's little brother. Not to mention Truitt will probably LOVE it...all the kids and attention!
Love Becky

Lisa E. said...

I agree completely with Becky! And you are not "pawning him off"! You are doing what is best for him even though it will be difficult at first! plus you get some crucial one on one with the new little man!!!! BTW you are so beautiful and photogenic!!! Love the pic, hate the snake!!! ;)

Julie Swan said...

Oh my goodness! Look at that creepy snake!

I think preschool will be a great social interaction for him. All the stimulation should be wonderful - he'l probably be exhausted when he gets home though. Maybe also a little quality time for you and baby to bond.