Sunday, August 22, 2010

Developmental Disabilities Clinic

Tomorrow morning, bright and early, we are headed down to a new clinic at Children's Hospital. The Developmental Disabilities Clinic. I'm not sure what to expect, but we will be seeing a Developmental Pediatrician that specializes in CP.

The main reason we are going is to talk with the doctor about some options in reference to Truitt's high muscle tone. His high tone in his arms is really limiting him when it comes to learning new fine and gross motor skills. His PT, Catie, wanted us to go see Dr. N at Children's to talk about some medications available to help with his condition. So tomorrow, we will do just that.

We will also talk to Dr. N about scheduling an appointment with the Wheelchair Clinic. No need to explain that, it's all in the name. I will admit it, I'm ready. I'm ready to accept him being in a wheelchair. Never thought this day of acceptance would come. But I'm so glad it did. He needs one. As he grows it is becoming more evident that he requires a lot of extra support.

It will be good for him in the long-term too. I know a wheelchair isn't necessarily permenant, but I don't think any parent would say that makes getting one any easier. Because in the back of my mind, I know it may be permanent. That isn't easy for me to think about.

One appointment at a time. It is, getting a little easier. I'm slowly getting there. Slowly figuring all this stuff out. Always, for the love of Truitt.

2 comments:

The Chaney's said...

Good Luck Lauren. Wheelchair or not, we love you Truitt!!!!

G. Grandma McFarland said...

I love the quote from Joseph Campbell! So true about our lifes. It will be great for Truitt to have a wheel chair to give him all the support he needs and comfort . He will love it.