A quick update on a few things that have been going on around here!
We finally got into a new Neurologist, who I am very pleased with. He is an Epileptologist and specializes in kids with hard to treat seizures. He also runs a special clinic in the hospital for kids with severe forms of epilepsy. We are so thankful for meeting him, and to our Pediatrician who hand chose him for Truitt.
On August 11th, we ordered Truitt his first wheelchair. We ended up choosing the Kimba. I think it will work great for Truitt, and I am really looking forward to it's arrival. It may end up breaking my back putting it into my SUV, but Truitt is SO worth it. A mini van may be in our near future. Whether I like it, or not.
We went to the beach last week with my parents. It was lovely. We had a wonderful time and the boys both loved the beach. I took tons of cute pictures, I'm sure most of you have seen them on facebook, and I will try to upload those soon.
A few days after arriving home from the beach, Truitt was suddenly very uncomfortable. All day Sunday and Monday he cried and cried. He was inconsolable. If I held him he would calm down for a little while, then would cry hysterically out of no where. It was a painful cry, and he otherwise seemed perfectly fine. No runny nose, no coughing, no fever, nothing. He was even eating great, which isn't typical when he is sick. He has never cried like that, ever. Especially without being sick. So I knew there must have been something causing him pain.
Finally, Monday night I took him into the ER. The resident was very concerned when she saw the way he was crying. She agreed, he was in a lot of pain. She asked if he was maybe sick, or constipated. I told her no, he had several bowel movements over the past few days and no signs of sickness. So she ordered an abdominal x-ray right away, and if that came back normal they were going to do a CAT scan.
Well...about an hour after his x-ray the resident came in and said he was VERY constipated. Apparently, the ER department hasn't seen a constipation x-ray that "impressive" in months. They were showing it to the students, because it isn't very often they see a child so backed up. Poor guy :(
They were confident that was the single cause of his pain, and quadrupled his daily dose of Miralax to clear it out, and were going to send us home. That is when the excitement began.
It was about 2:30 am at this point, Truitt was sound asleep next to me on the bed in the ER room and we were waiting for the discharge papers. He began to have a seizure, and of course I was concerned but hoped it was just because he was tired and that would be it. Then he had another one, seconds later. Then another, and another. I pushed the emergency button and a few nurses came running in. I told them he had five seizures over just a few minutes time, and when the walked over to his bed he started having another.
The nurse ran out to get a doctor and when the doctor came in, Truitt was having his seventh seizure, in much less that 10 minutes time. He called in a paramedic and a few other people. Within seconds the room had become full of people all rushing around working on our son. I was still confused, we were supposed to be going home, for CONSTIPATION! Not seizures.
They administered Dilantin and started an IV. He was admitted to the Neurology floor for 24 hour observation. Thankfully, he never had another one after he was given the Dilantin. But he sure scared the heck out of me, and probably all of the doctors and nurses. The Neurologist said he is confident that he had so many seizures in a row because of fatigue and pain. Both of which greatly lower a child's seizure threshold.
It makes me feel a little better that there was an excuse for the seizures, but part of me feels like this is just the beginning. The beginning of a very long road in the fight with seizures.
No comments:
Post a Comment