Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Goodbye, Gallbladder!

Last Wednesday, the scariest day of my life. General anesthesia has its risks, and now that I am a mom that is scary. I was terrified I wouldn't wake up. But I did!

For thirteen years I have had horrendous abdominal/stomach pains. I had many tests, and multiple ultrasounds on my gallbladder over the years and nothing. It seemed to be working just fine. So I suffered on. I was numb to the pain, it was part of my life. And for that reason, I let all of these years go by without seeking more testing, more opinions. A few weeks ago I went into the ER for chest pains and difficulty breathing. A CT scan of my abdomen showed I had gallstones. With my history, it was no surprise. I finally had an answer. That following week I had an ultrasound which showed a little sludge too (that word is so gross) and it was highly recommended that I have it removed. So surgery was scheduled one week after that.

The surgery went great. It was removed laparoscopically, with just 4 small incisions. Surgeon said my gallbladder was "nasty." One of the worst he has seen in years, filled with scar tissue and he said it looked painful. It was, I promise. He said it was a great thing I got it out. I'd say so!

What was supposed to be outpatient turned into a night of pampering for me at the hospital. I love people bringing me pain meds and food while I lay in an adjustable bed after surgery. I mean, who wouldn't? It was great! I got much more rest and relaxation than I would have ever gotten at home. There is always so much to do around the house, I can NEVER just lay in my bed. Ever. The incisions were painful, more so than I expected. But within a few days it felt much better. Now, less than a week later, I feel great! Hardly feel like I had surgery 6 days ago.

I'm SO thankful for such a wonderful surgeon, and sweet nurses who took good care of me. It was such an easy surgery, no big deal. Although, before hand I sure did make it a HUGE deal. I was worried! At least I can breathe easy now, it's over!

My wisdom teeth shouldn't seem so bad now...

1 comment:

Adriane said...

Wow, glad things turned out well for you!!