Saturday, January 7, 2012

Hello.

Sorry I haven't been taking the time to share our life with you all lately, I know you are out there thinking of us, and I want to update you on what has been going on.

Truitt has been doing fantastic! In every aspect of his life. He is sleeping 10-12 hours a night, HUGE improvement from a few months ago when he would wake up several times a night crying. He is still unpredictable on his naps, some days he doesn't sleep a wink and other days he will sleep 4 hours and we have to wake him up for dinner! Like any three year old, he can use some quiet time because he is always full of energy!

School is going great! His teacher is wonderful and I am so happy that things worked out so well again this year. He is in the transitional pre-school class, meaning there are only eight kids with two teachers and one therapist at all times. He has the sweetest little boy in his class named Ray. Ray loves Truitt, and his mom said he talks about him all the time at home. She had no idea until seeing Truitt that he was in a wheelchair. Ray spoke of him like he was any other friend in his class. I loved hearing that, and every time I think of it my heart skips a beat. To Ray, Truitt is no different :) One day when I was dropping Truitt off, Ray came over to his chair and said, "Hey Truitt, you ready to play?" It was THE best thing I have ever heard. I could have squeezed the boy!!! The fact that Truitt doesn't respond much to him, or even at all, means even more that Ray still talks to him and treats him like he would any other friend. What a sweetheart.

Truitt has been eating great too. Of course there hasn't been much improvement in his technique, but he seems to be enjoying meal time and loving his bottles more than ever. Yes, still won't budge on giving those bottles up :/

Seizures. Have to watch what I say here, don't want to jinx it. He went two weeks seizures free, then had two very short seizures in one morning when he was constipated, and hasn't had another in over two weeks(!!!). We always know to take it one day at a time, and that's what we are doing. Counting our blessings, today. We have positively correlated constipation and seizures. If he misses one dose of Miralax, game over. It is crazy! Really, that is all it takes. So if we keep him on a daily dose of 8.5 grams of Miralax, it seems to help keep those seizures away.

How could I forget?! We got the wheelchair!!! I will post the pictures soon, but it is so wonderful to finally have his very own to keep forever! We got it a little over a month ago, and it has been life changing. It fits him perfectly and he is such a happy guy when he is in it. We take him everywhere in it now, and he seems very secure and content. It is a very special chair, and he knows it :)

Now to Beckett. I never knew how fun being a mom is! That boy is my entertainer. He is such good boy, a great listener, and for being just 20 months old he already has a special bond with Truitt. He includes Truitt in everything he does, places toys on his lap, wipes his mouth, tries to give him snacks and hugs and kisses him all the time. Last week he said "Truitt" for the first time! He is such a great brother, and I love seeing a little glimpse of the person Truitt is influencing him to become. He loves holding onto the handle on Truitt's wheelchair, and walks so proudly by his side. He blows him kisses each day when we drop him off at school, and runs up to give him hugs when we return to pick him up. Those boys are so lucky to have each other. I never imagined them being as close as they are, especially at such young ages. It will only get better! Truitt recently laughs at every noise Beckett makes, he thinks he is the funniest kid in town :) Beckett has blown all of my speech worries of out the water!! He says well over 20 words now, and will repeat words. It is so fun to hear him talking, I squeeze him almost every time he says anything. It is so exciting for us to watch him learn. He is a very affectionate little boy, hugs and kisses us all day. He loves to cuddle and read books. He also LOVES to eat. Still haven't found anything he doesn't like. He likes spicy food like his daddy. Chipotle is among his favs. We are slowly introducing potty training. He loves to sit on his potty and read books, but no luck yet and actually getting him to go. I'll have to talk to some of my "mom's of boys" friends and get some advice.

There is so much more catching up to do, but I'm tired and have to call it a night. I promise pictures will be soon to follow, sorry for a long post. I have SO many pictures to share. Here's to a very happy and healthy New Year!!! I hope everyone had a happy holiday too :) Goodnight!

5 comments:

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

This made me cry happy tears! I wish the world could all be a little more like Ray!

Lindsey said...

What a special child Ray is... if everyone could see life the way he does, the world would be a better place!

Mom ( Grandma Graham) said...

Ok, This was the 3 tissue nose blower that I have been waiting for.I knew with your posting delay you would come back with an emotional one. What a great friend Truitt has in little Ray. I would love to meet this littel guy someday. If he only knows what he is doing to this family and bringing such joy to our heart reading this. KIDS DO NOT SEE DIFFERENCE, THEIR LOVE IS BLIND AND UNCONDITIONAL.

I really wish everyone out there could experience the bond between Truitt and Beckett. It's undescrible and gets me in the heart everytime.

Love
~Mom

Karla Halfyard said...

It's great to see such happiness.