April 28th 2010. My day started off very normal, and uneventful. I was scheduled to be induced that evening at 9 pm. I savored every very last second alone with my sweet Truitt. I was very excited throughout the day, until we got in the car to leave. On our way to the hospital, we dropped Truitt off at the Chaney's, dear friends of ours who cared for him while I was in labor. TJ took these great last pictures of our family of three as we counted down the hours until we became a family of four.




On the way to the hospital, I'm pretty sure Greg wanted to throw me out of the car. I was an emotional wreck. I didn't want to go. I wanted to go home. At that moment, I realized I never wanted to go through labor again, until Greg reminded me I couldn't be pregnant with him forever.
Then I comforted myself by saying, "But I'm not in labor, so let's just go home!" To which Greg responded, "Okay, so you want to wait a few more days? Because at some point you will still have to go through labor."
I had no choice. It was a necessary evil to get my sweet baby boy into my arms. So I quietly sat, not knowing where the night would take me, shaking and sweating preparing for the worst. All I knew about labor was the worst.
When we got up to the L&D floor, an incredibly sweet nurse awaited us and showed us to a room. I put on my gown, and climbed in the bed. As she prepped me, she asked about my prior "traumatic" delivery. It must have been noted in my chart. I told her all about it. How horrible it was, the pain, the suffering, the FAILED epidurals, and the beautiful little boy that survived it all. I also informed her that I wanted things to be different this time.
And different they were. VERY different.
Here is how the night went...
April 28, 2010
10:30 pm - Pitocin drip starts
11:00 pm - Shift change, and the worlds greatest nurse enters.
April 29, 2010
1:30 am - Finally started feeling some contractions.
3:30 am - Epidural placed.
4:00 am - Doctor comes in and breaks my water.
4:00 - 7:30 am - Rested peacefully with my mom and Greg by my side.
7:30 am - Epidural wears off, and the pain was actually bearable!
8:30 am - Given Lidocaine through epidural catheter.
8:30 - 9:15 am - Slept for the first time, and was awakened by the need to push.
9:15 am - Chaos begins, Dr. G paged, baby is COMING...NOW!
9:22 am - Start pushing...
9:31 am - 4 contractions, and 9 minutes later...He's here, it's a Boy!!!

Just like that, my every dream came true.
Everything was perfect. Just the way I always imagined having a baby would be. It was magical. All I ever hoped for, and more.
Through the entire 11 hours are labor, Beckett was very active which was so reassuring. His heart rate never dropped at all, never below 115 bpm. I couldn't sleep because I was listening for his heart beats the whole night. And there they were, in perfect rhythm. Even during the actual delivery he was happy as a lark. Not once in distress. God was with us that night. He knew just what we needed.

Beckett came out pink and screaming. I grabbed him with my own two hands and placed him on my chest. It was the most incredible thing I have felt in my whole life. Craddling his tiny warm body in the first moments of his life. As he took his first breathe. Greg cut the cord, and we were able to enjoy the bliss of welcoming this healthy little miracle into our lives. I never knew it could be so perfect.


Truitt's birth was very different. I didn't get to hold him for 20 minutes or so after I delivered him. Greg never got to cut the cord. He was rushed away immediately after birth to be resuscitated. He never let out a big, healthy cry. He was never pink. He was sick. Oh, how I wish it could have been different.
My labor with Beckett was enjoyable, peaceful and relaxing. I was in nearly no pain. My nurse was EXCEPTIONAL. She was everything I needed and more. She was so gentle, kind hearted, and did anything and everything to make sure I was comfortable and happy. I spent the first five hours talking to her, like old friends. I cannot say enough wonderful things about her, she helped make that night everything I hoped it would be. I will never be able to thank her enough for what she did for me that night. It leaves me speechless. Unfortunately, she missed his birth by an hour. Her shift ended at 7am, and she even stayed late to try and be there for his big debut. But he was taking his time.

I am forever grateful for this new baby boy in our lives, and for every wonderful doctor and nurse who helped bring him in to this world safely to ensure he was happy and healthy. My overall experience was marvelous, the hospital I had him at was incredible. I am so thankful for how amazing his birth was. It's a memory I will never want to forget.
I love you sweet Beckett. Welcome to our crazy, perfect family!
4 comments:
I am so happy for you Lauren. You are a loving, caring person with a HUGE heart. You deserve all the joy and happiness with Greg and your children!
I can not help but have tears in my eyes reading this blog entry. I know as your mother this was the moment you have been wating for since you were three years old. All of our prayers were answered no doubt about that. Having been through Truitt's birth right along your side, do not let the miracle of this little boys enrty into this world leave your heart aching. You and Greg have been blessed with two beautiful little boys. They both have the best parents God could have picked for them. Now enjoy each and every moment as time goes by too quickly. I still remember like it was yesterday bringing you into the world. :)
Love to The Sankey Family!!!!!
Hugs and Kisses
~Mom
PS- I love the pictures!!!! I can't believe I have never seen any of these amazing shots. TJ did am amazing job of capturing you as a family before you added the new addition. You all look so happy.
~Mom
What a gift to be able to remember details so well! Thank you for shareing those very personal hours before Beckett's birth.....the pictures are beautiful!
Post a Comment