Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Video Swallow Study

This afternoon Truitt had a VSS done to evaluate his oral function when eating and drinking. His OT, Pam, wanted to make sure he wasn't aspirating when drinking, and evaluate him when chewing solids. Here is what the study found...

Aspiration was observed when he was drinking thin liquid consistency. After just two sucks of the thin liquid (milk consistency), he aspirated and they had me stop feeding him.

We then moved onto baby food. He did great with that and had no troubles clearing and swallowing it down the right "pipe." He is considered delayed for solids. We knew that.

Last was a true solid. A piece of a nutri-grain bar. He also did well with that, and did a good job with chewing/munching. I was surprised they thought he did so well with solids, because I am so afraid to give him any at home. I don't think I give him enough credit with chewing solids, it scares me so much when he gags on them. After today, now I know he's ready. So I will have to be ready too.

The overall finding on the report says his swallow skills appeared functional for purees and semi thick liquids. Meaning we will now have to thicken his liquids with a thickening agent. One more thing we will have to add to our daily routine with Truitt.

Overall the OT that performed the study thought he did GREAT given his condition and developmental delays. He will be reassessed in 4-6 months. They reassured me that almost all kids grow out of aspirating and this should be temporary.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is.


Pam may have just saved him from a future possible case of pneumonia. I'll be sure to thank her a millions times over for that.

1 comment:

G. Grandma McFarland said...

Sounds like he is doing great....now he can enjoy some of your great cooking! Yum...