Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday Night

Been awhile again, hasn't it?

Truitt started back to school last week. Having two weeks off with no school and no therapy sure was a tease. A little glimpse at life without special needs. It was lovely. I have no idea what I did with my time, but I sure had lots of it!


Now we're back into the swing of everyday life. I miss my boy while he's gone at school, but it's so nice to get out, run some errands, and spend some time alone with my little Beckett.

The week before Christmas, Truitt had his first appointment with the Pediatric Dentist. His teeth are starting to look discolored again. As you may remember they were dark gray right after they broke through his gums when he was just 8 or so months old. Well, that went away and now they look discolored...again. Except now they just look unhealthy, almost slightly rotten. And to top it off, he has a line of decay going straight across one of his top front teeth. Not good.


The dentist said the line of decay is a cavity. It will be filled with a white filling, and be nearly unnoticeable. Good. But, as far as the discoloration, she says she thinks it was caused during my pregnancy. From me having a high fever, or some sort of infection. My question was if they were affected during his fetal development, how could they be perfectly white for a year, then suddenly at 18 months old appear discolored??

She didn't give a clear answer. Since she looked as young as me, I hate to admit that I didn't trust her opinion and knowledge, and rescheduled with the original dentist we were referred too, Dr. Hines. So in two weeks he will have the cavity filled and I will try to get some more answers about the discoloration, from hopefully a more confident doctor. Also, Dr. Hines specializes in kids with special needs. How great is that? So great she is really hard to get in to see. Hence having to see the "mediocre" doctor first.

My concern is that all of this decay, if that's what we are seeing, is caused by his seizure meds and his inability to completely clear food from his mouth after eating. I have always noticed many kids with special needs have rotten teeth, and I want to try my hardest to prevent that from happening to Truitt. A pearly white smile is so important to me, and I want to know that I can ensure that for him as well. Even if I have to brush his teeth constantly. Well, we already are.

Speaking of teeth, this little guy has TWO!!


This coming week we will go to the Cerebral Palsy Clinic. It will be a four hour appointment in which he will be seen by a Physical Med doctor, Developmental Pediatrician, Nutritionist, PT, OT, Social Worker (to help us get funding and valuable resources available to him), and lab tests are available as needed. It is a great way to see a variety of specialists in one visit. In turn, it makes for a LONG day for us and Truitt.

Thursday, we go to the Neurology Clinic. I'm still asking myself why I scheduled them both in the same week. I'm already having my little mental breakdown about these appointments. They get me...every, single, time.

1 comment:

G. Grandma McFarland said...

Becktt is saying " listen to me " I might be the little brother but I have something to say ;0)