Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Truitt Update

We have lots going on lately, and appointments out the wazoo!

Truitt had a follow-up Video Swallow Study. I'm still not sure why, and I kind of wish I hadn't allowed him to be exposed to unnecessary radiation, because nothing had changed with his eating. He didn't seem to be doing worse or better, so why mess with a good thing right? Since Dr. Gelfius ordered it at the CP clinic we went ahead and did it. It showed very similar, yet different, results from the last VSS he had last summer. He is still aspirating thin liquids, but indirectly. Meaning he only aspirates when he goes to take a breath after sucking and swallowing. Last summer he had direct aspiration, which meant he would aspirate WHILE sucking and swallow. Accorrding to them, that isn't necessarily better. So we continue thickening...

The Botox seems to be really helping Truitt relax his right arm, although he still shows no interest in using it, *sigh*. Dr. Gelfius started him on a low dose, so he can increase it next time if he needs to. I am thankful that it has helped him relax that arm, but I was so hopeful that he would use it a little more. It is so discouraging for me to see him neglect that arm. We don't know if he suffered nerve damage from shoulder dystocia at birth, or the fact that he had a left frontal lobe hemorrhage in his brain, or if it is just the spasticity. He has so many complex issues that it's hard to pinpoint exactly why he doesn't use his right arm. The Botox is doing it's job, now we must encourage Truitt to do his end of the deal!

No comments: