Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Double Time

Today was Truitt's first back to back therapy session. He had an hour of speech therapy followed by an hour of physical therapy. I wasn't sure how it would work out, since he is usually falling asleep 45 minutes into only one therapy session.

He did great! He was very happy all morning and the two hours of therapy didn't seem to bother him a bit. His ST, Amy, worked with him on switches and a communication device. It's so hard to see that. It only increases my sadness that he may never be able to talk. At the same time, I am so eager to find out what he is thinking. Any form of communication would be great for him. I would love to know what's on his mind. To give him choices, and allow him to tell us what HE wants to do, and what HE likes best.

My fear is that he won't ever be able to figure out how to use a communication device. I know he is still so young, but he can hardly play with toys and his vision is very undependable. Right now I feel like it's the impossible they are throwing at him. Again, he has to start somewhere. I guess there is no better time than now.

1 comment:

Grandma McFarland said...

Wouldn't it be great if we knew the future or would it???? Not so sure that is what God has in his plans for any of us. I would think he wants us to live everyday to the fullest and trust in a new day tomorrow. Looking to far ahead only delays our enjoying todays blessing. Looking back only can bring saddness and regrets of things we could not change. Celebrate today as if there were no tomorrow! Till then enjoy this day.