Monday, April 18, 2011

Parainfluenza...ughh

So by now most of you know that Truitt spent the end of last week in the hospital with the flu. We took him in late Thursday night for symptoms of dehydration.

It all started the Saturday before, he seemed to be coming down with some kind of bug. By Sunday it was clear to us that he was sick, with something much more than a seasonal cold. He was very weak, had a fever of 104 and didn't have much of an appetite. He would cry each time he coughed so we thought maybe his throat was sore too.

I took him into the Pediatrician on Monday to assess the high fever, and to rule out Strep or an ear infection. He didn't have either, no doubt a virus so we were sent home to just ride it out hoping it would go away in a few days.

His high fever finally went away by Tuesday morning but he started to eat less and act much sicker as the day progressed. He would just lay and whine. He was gagging out of no where, which also told us he was nauseated. He could barely keep his eyes open and was sleeping a lot. Any time we touched him, he cried. Every time he coughed, he cried. Worst of all, we couldn't get him to eat or drink. He was getting worse and worse. When Thurday came with him still only taking a few ounces all day and hadn't had one wet diaper, I knew we needed to take him to Childrens.

When we got to Children's the doctor told us he was severely dehydrated and we were lucky we brought him in that night. They immediately started him on IV fluids and decided he needed to be admitted. I didn't expect that. I thought they would give him a quick IV and send us home a few hours later. He was so dehydrated that they had to give him two bolus injections (a large dose of fluid administered over a short period of time).

I feel so horrible we didn't take him in sooner. I had no idea he was that sick, and no idea he was so dehydrated. Since we had just been to the doctor, I was under the impression that at any minute he would just get better. It was just a few days without good food or liquid intake, but now I know that is all it takes for a little guy like him to crash, and fast.

For the next few days, he just hung out in his hospital bed and got lots of rest. He slept a lot during the days there. I think it felt good for him to just lay in that comfy bed and get some fluid back into his body. By Saturday he was a different kid. He woke up happy and started drinking and eating like a champ! They would only let us go home if he began eating enough by mouth to keep himself well hydrated. And he did! So late Saturday night we were able to take him home.

As of today, he seems to be back to himself. Maybe because I let him sleep in until 10:30? He loves his sleep! He has been eating and drinking fairly well and is a very happy Truitt again. Each time he is sick, makes me appreciate how easy he is when he is NOT sick :)

Nothing fun about a sick little boy. Or hospital stays. We are glad to have him home and well!

No comments: