The G-tube is in place and the surgery went well. Truitt is doing great and the surgeon said his stomach was not as high as they thought, but is small. Likely because he is on a pureed diet and pureed foods are so easily digestible. His stomach doesn't stretch and expand as much as it would if he ate more solid, filling foods.
Truitt was very comfortable yesterday evening following the surgery, but was in a lot of pain and discomfort throughout the night. All he wanted was to be in my arms, so I climbed into his bed and cuddled him all night. He would wake up every thirty minutes crying, but quickly calmed right down down with mommy there to sing and tickle his back. At 4:00 am they increased his dose of morphine and we both got several solid hours of sleep after that. It was a long, sleepless night. I'm feeling it today!
He was happy and content all morning, hasn't cried at all today. He will fuss a little when he stretches his legs out too far or when we pick him up. His poor little belly is sore. He took a good nap this morning, so I was able to go home and shower and do some laundry while his wonderful nurse watched over him very closely. I was very trusting of her, because I typically don't like to leave his side. She is a very nurturing, caring and "mommy" kind of nurse. The ones with little kids are always my favorites. They just get it, and take extra special care.
Just a bit ago she showed me how to use his g-tube and we started out by giving him two ounces of Pedialyte. If he is happy and his tube stays clear, we will progress to formula feeds this evening along with feeding him orally too. The poor boy is starved, hasn't eaten in almost 48 hours! I look forward to giving him a tummy filled with food.
Thank you for checking in on us and I will update again soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment