Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mic-Key Button

A few weeks ago Truitt got his G-Tube replaced by the wonderful, and even more convenient Mic-Key Button. The Mic-Key is his permanent tube that he will have from here on out. It serves the same purpose as the G-Tube, without the long tube hanging out of it. The Mic-Key is a small button just above his belly button that we hook a tube up to when we give him his feeds.

Since Truitt's G-Tube was surgically placed, we only had to wait 6 weeks to get the Mic-Key put in. Truitt had other plans, and decided to pull the G-Tube out 5 weeks post surgery (while our friends were over for dinner!), so a 9 hour trip to the ER later, he got the Mic-Key! That's not the way I wanted it to be done, but oh well we were thrilled to have it either way.

Greg and I still can't grasp how stress-free our lives feel. Almost daily, I tell Greg how much I love the tube. To see Truitt so happy and content while getting his liquids is the best feeling in the whole world. Drinking a bottle was so much work for him, and even more work for us. To now be able to give him 100% of his liquids and medications without a worry in the world is purely marvelous! He still eats all of his solid foods orally and continues to do really well with them. But on days when he is too tired to eat after school, the tube is a wonderful alternative for a meal replacement too!

These are recent pictures of his Mic-Key button. The little scar is where they entered his abdomen to pull his stomach into place. The scar is a result of a much safer way to place the tube by a surgeon, rather than having the tube blindly placed by a GI doctor which is a riskier procedure.




1 comment:

Heather (Live.Love.Laugh.) said...

I love reading and learning about the G tube. Our surgery will be in July. Do you have any good products you like for it? I've found fabric buttons on etsy to absorb liquid leaks and fabric bands to wrap around his belly to avoid medical gause. Your little guy is so sweet! He looks just like our B!