Today I am getting a few hours alone, doesn't happen very often, but I haven't been feeling well and my mom is keeping Truitt for a bit. My dad is out of town, so I figured they could keep each other company for the evening. Laying on the couch all day is just what I needed!
Truitt had PT this afternoon, and we decided he was ready for arm braces. They are a soft velcro brace that will help him keep his arms in the extended (straight) position. These will help him with supporting to sit and crawl. Because of the high tone he has in his arms, anytime he tries really hard to bear weight on them, they tighten into a bent position. This makes it impossible for him to support any weight on them, preventing him from furthering his development with sitting and crawling.
I am very hopeful that these braces will help him learn to bear weight on his arms so he can continue to work towards some independence. He wants it so badly, his little legs want to get moving, but those arms just prove to be a real struggle for him. It will be a long process getting them, fighting for insurance coverage, and then 2 to 4 weeks for delivery. I can't wait to give them a try and see how he does! He did well with them on at therapy today, so I am so excited for him.
We missed his PT appointment last week, which is why we went today on an off week. It was a nice and quite day in the gym this afternoon and Truitt did great for it being right in the middle of nap time.
For me, it was just one of those days. Seeing all of the new kids I've never seen before, with various conditions, only encouraged my mind to wander. I sure hate when that happens, which is why I avoid going there on off days. I guess this is just another test of my faith. As soon as I block it all out of my mind, there is always a sign that reminds me, we still really don't know.
It is always nice to dream. To dream that he will be fine, and not be like those other sweet kids in wheelchairs and walkers. In my heart, I know the odds sure are against him, but I still like to dream.
Only one day at a time...
1 comment:
Dream can come to be....always keep the faith and pray that God will see him through all his challenges
Post a Comment