Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Truitt Meets Jack

When I was pregnant with Truitt, I met Cheryl and Jack at our mutual friend Melissa's house. I was just weeks away from my due date.

I instantly knew Jack was not a typical 18 month old when I met him that day. His mom informed me that he had Cerebral Palsy. Although I knew all about CP from taking anatomy in college, I had never seen a baby before with the condition. I guess I never realized it actually happens to babies, and that most people with CP are born with it due to brain damage at or around birth.

I was so touched that day by Jack, and by his mom Cheryl.

I called Greg immediately after I left Melissa's house, to tell him about this incredible mom and little boy I had just met. I told him about Jack, how adorable he was, and that I could never imagine having the strength his mother had to raise a baby with CP. I was so thankful that day for the "healthy" baby I had growing inside of me. I had no idea just weeks from then, I would be living in her shoes.

If I had only known then, what I know now. I believe God brought us together for a reason. Never would I have believed that day at Melissa's, that my baby too, would be born with CP. Never in a million years. It just doesn't happen that easily.

So I thought.

But it does. It happens so easily, and to mothers and fathers when they least expect it.

I am so grateful to have met Cheryl, because she is such a wonderful friend to me now, and such an incredible resource. He sweet boy, Jack, is now 3 years old. We have been trying to get the boys together for nearly a year, but with two busy schedules to work around, it just wasn't so easy.

Finally last week Cheryl had the boys and I over for a lunch date. It was so great to catch up and meet Jack again. Jack loved meeting Truitt, and he sure did enjoy meeting Beckett too. He is such a sweet little guy.




Not to mention, he is pretty handsome too!

Truitt got to hang out with Jack, and even got to try out Jack's old walker they are letting us borrow.




Cheryl and I ate some yummy homemade grilled pizza's. Cheryl, you really out did yourself with that pizza, it was DELICIOUS!

Jack loved Beckett, and Beckett was all smiles when Jack was talking to him.


Truitt was so tired from all the fun, he wouldn't even open his eyes for the pictures. Jack was saying," Truitt, wake up!!" while trying to lift his head up. So cute :)



Thank you Cheryl and Jack! We had a wonderful time, and look forward to seeing you soon!

2 comments:

MOM said...

What a great relationship those little boys will have for a lifetime. The pictures sure capture the great time you had.

~MOM

G. Grandma McFarland said...

Just loved the story of your meeting little Jack...your right you never would have known what was to be! The pictures are just adorable and capture the day! Lots more of them to come....Friends Forever ;0)