Yesterday Truitt had his VER test. The Visual Evoked Response Test is a test that enables us to better understand Truitt's vision.
The test was performed by Dr. Leguire, one of only two doctors who perform this test in the entire state. We sure are lucky to have this available to us so close to home, I had no idea it was such a hard test to come by for most families in the US. Kids come from all over to see him for a VER. He is an incredible man and doctor. He is so funny, so intelligent, and so kind to our Truitt. He was full of information about kids like Truitt, especially those with CVI (Cortical Vision Impairment). He wrote a report about a research study on kids with CVI for a medical journal a few years ago and was kind enough to give me a copy. I look forward to reading it, it is so valuable to me knowing it was written by such a remarkable guy. He was great!
The test took about 30 minutes from start to finish. Four Electrodes were placed on Truitt's head, to read his brain waves, and one on his left ear lobe. He was then shown various patterns, pictures, and lighted objects on a computer screen. Some pictures were also accompanied by sound to see if he responds better when a visual stimuli is associated with sound. Then he tested each eye individually using an eye patch. While his eye was patched, Dr. Leguire kept calling him his little pirate. He is such a fun doctor, with a great sense of humor. I was laughing almost the entire time. He was so fun to be around.
Truitt did SO good! He just kept staring at the screen, and Dr. Leguire kept saying how great he was doing. I heard a lot of "Fabulous Truitt!", "Great working Truitt!", That a boy!", and so on from Dr. Leguire during the test. He was just tickled with how cooperative he was. As was I! I totally did not expect him to do so well, sit so still and be so visually attentive. Well, because he almost never is. I am so hopeful that Dr. Leguire's reaction is a good indication that Truitt does have better use of his vision that I give him credit for. He sure was pleased with how Truitt did.
We will hopefully get the results from Truitt's Ophthalmologist in a few days. I have been anticipating this test and its results for months now. I just feel like I need to know more about his vision. I want to help him see and understand his world around him.
1 comment:
Great news Truitt....sounds like your doing sooooo good!
Post a Comment