Monday, April 4, 2011

Vertical View

For the past six months at physical therapy, Truitt has been working on "wall standing." He prefers wall sliding over standing. Every time Catie would try to get him to stand against the wall, he would slowly slide right down on his bum.

He wouldn't do it. No interest. Even with his orthotics on to help with his over pronation he would collapse.

At home I have been working with him on wall standing, because Catie told me it is the best way to teach kids with CP how to stand and gain some balance. It is also great for weight bearing through his legs and hips.

Today he stood for more than 30 seconds!


That is a HUGE step for him! I was so proud, I get chills all over just thinking about it. The way my heart feels to see my little boy stand is exhilarating. A feeling I crave, a feeling of pure joy and fulfillment. A feeling my heart doesn't experience very often, but when it does, oh what a feeling it is.


He may never stand unsupported, but I want to give him every opportunity to have a real shot at it. Everyone has to start somewhere, but it's up to us on how far we are willing to go. I hope he continues to make these small strides. No matter how small, they are so BIG in our eyes. I know it must enrich his inner spirit to learn new things. To get a vertical view of his world on his own two feet. What could be any better than that?

Standing tall. He's my big boy :)

2 comments:

Shelly said...

This has to be the most moving post I have read in awhile. I had many tears flowing here at my desk. (Happy Tears)

I am so proud of this little guy and both you and Greg for all the hard work

Hugs and Kisses
~Mom

Grandma McFarland said...

Today you were given a beautiful gift...some days just give hope beyond our wildest dreams....DREAM BIG for our beautiful Truitt! He is amazing1.