Friday, February 27, 2009

Dream Big

I have just been thinking a lot today, about where we've been and how far we've come. I sit and think sometimes about those days we spent at Children's. I used to sit and wonder what Truitt would be like at two months, six months, even two years. They always said it would take two years to know his long-term outcome. I just wanted to skip the first two years and be in a more secure place. Just to know what his future holds is all I could ask for.

Now I want to cherish each day, each moment with him. I don't even look at his future like most moms do, I truly live for this day. In my heart, I have this feeling he will be just fine. Yes, maybe he will have a few set backs, but overall he will be a happy, healthy, intelligent little boy. That is my gut feeling and I know to get there with him I must work at it. If it means spending every waking moment stretching his arms, reading him books, and talking to him, I will do it. Anything it takes, I will do it for him. My life isn't mine anymore, it belongs to Truitt right now. Everything I do is for him.

I have always told myself through this whole experience, better days will come. It won't always be this hard. Each time I see Truitt smile or laugh it carries all my troubles away and I realize how amazing he is. When he talks its like hearing angels sing, I never knew a sound so small could make me dream so big. I heard the song "Dream Big" today and it perfectly captures my life right now. Here is a section of the song...word for word it describes my life these past 4 months.

When you cry be sure to dry your eyes,
cause better days are sure to come.
And when you smile be sure to smile wide, and
don't let them know that they have won.
And when you laugh be sure to laugh out loud,
'Cause it will carry all your cares away.
And when you see, see the beauty all
around and in yourself, and it will help you feel okay.
And when you pray, pray for strength to
help to carry on when the troubles come your way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We know there is a God...who else would give you such insight to express your feeling. Liveing each day and enjoying all the little things,a laugh or a smile to brighten our day. It is true that the best things in life are free...true gifts from God. Thank you for shareing your deepest thougts it lifts all of us up! Wait till Truitt is old enough to read all of this...how proud he will be!