Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ophthamologist

I just realized I don't think I ever mentioned Truitt's eye problem. Yes, yet another minor problem we have been forced to deal with. We noticed right around Christmas that Truitt's eyes would wander sometimes. He would seldom look cross eyed, but mostly just one eye would wander, typically the right eye. Back in January the Neonatologist scheduled an appointment with the Ophthamologist and I tried to not even think about it as I had more important things to worry about.

As today grew nearer I worried a little more. In fact on my way there I was so afraid of what I might hear I gave myself a stomach ache. My worst fear was they would tell me he couldn't see out of one of both eyes, although he always seemed to see just fine. I just knew I couldn't handle that kind of news right now.

When we first saw the doctor he said there were many possibilities that could be the cause. Obstructions behind the eye such as tumors or malformations, blindness, or they just simply have not learned to move in sync yet. After three hours, and a couple tantrums later, the news was great! He has perfect vision (well as good as a babies could be) and he has no obstructions behind the eye. That means they more than likely just haven't developed the ability to move in sync. Babies are not required to be able to do this until around eight months of age so he will be seen again in four months.

The treatment for this is glasses or surgery to relieve the muscle, they will determine the course of action by how he is doing at eight months old. I'm so glad it went well because it is one less thing to worry about for the time being.

2 comments:

Chuck Sankey said...

I’ve not known Truitt to have a tantrum, so who had one?

Love you all

Madelyn Fishe said...

Lauren and Greg, you need to publish this in a book! We all enjoy reading and following along with Truit's progress and we all are pulling for you!!!
I wish to remind everyone of Truit's savings account at Kemba Credit Union, especially with the Easter Bunny coming to town soon, in case anyone wanted to treat him. Call me, as wonderful Tonya did, to get additional information, remember his account number is his birthday, 101008!!!
614-235-2395 Ext.1801