So today we did have an eventful trip, back to the Pediatrician. Truitt gave me a good scare last night. He has been very stuffed up, not a cold and no fever, just very stuffy. He is cutting 3 teeth now, so I think it may be due to that and maybe a little viral infection mixed in. Anyways, he has been waking us up several times a night the past week or so. This is not like Truitt, he is an amazing sleeper, except when he is cutting teeth.
Well last night he woke up twice, Greg and I switched on and off tucking him back in. By the third time he awoke crying, I gave in and brought him into our bed. His little nose was so stuffed he was breathing really heavy. I had my arm around him, cuddling him like I love to do, and I noticed him stop breathing. He went silent and his chest was still. My heart sunk and my instinct was to start counting the seconds as they slowing crept by. He repeated this sort of apnea 3 times in approximately 30 minutes. Only lasting around 4-6 seconds each. I wasn't too worried, since I am now an expert on how long a child can go without oxygen, and know over 30 seconds is dangerous. So 4-6 seconds was far from that and I felt it could wait until the morning. Let me just be honest, I was very tempted to take him to the ER.
After each spell, he scared himself and started to cry, leaving me to wonder if he has been doing this all week without us knowing. I called the Pediatrician first thing this morning, and as soon as I said his name, they wanted to see him immediately to check his airways. Knowing his condition. The RNP we saw was wonderful. She believes it is the congestion causing this to happen, and that it is very common for children to do this when they are significantly congested. Most parents never even know unless they are holding the child, which I was. Because Truitt has never shown any signs of prolonged apnea, such as waking several times throughout the night and acting restless during the day, she doesn't think it is anything to worry about.
She also wanted to know how long he went without breathing, thank goodness I counted! She said under 10 seconds is nothing to worry about, 10-20 is concerning and more than 20 needs medical attention. She told me to try giving him saline nose spray and to watch him closely and call if it continues for more than 3 to 5 days. Hopefully it will go away soon. It was so scary. We don't need something else to worry about. But if it continues, they would like to do a sleep study, given his condition. I will keep you posted.
Today I also had my 4 month prenatal check up. The babies heart rate was very strong, and we could hear it kicking the doppler! Looks like another active baby, Truitt was always very active when I was pregnant with him. I am feeling much better now, and slowing getting my energy back. I can't wait for our next ultrasound in a few weeks! We are still debating whether or not to find out the gender. Truitt was a surprise, and a wonderful surprise. This time, I go back and forth. One day I want to know, the next I don't. We'll see! All I want is healthy baby. Perfectly healthy, boy or girl.
2 comments:
Prayers,prayers and more prayers comeing your way!
I forgot to sign my name....the above message is from Grandma McFarland :)!
Post a Comment