Truitt's eye's continue to look GREAT! We had his follow up appointment today. Dr. B thinks his eyes are as close to perfectly aligned as they could ever get with surgery! We go back in 2 months for the final surgery follow up appointment to make sure they stay that way. It takes a while for the muscles to completely heal, so there is a very slight chance they could still begin to heal incorrectly. Hopefully they will stay aligned, I like them just the way they are. I think Truitt does too.
One concern I have with his eyes, are that he still doesn't make good eye contact or follow toys. Typical babies do this around 6 weeks of age. It has always concerned me, but I continued to hope it would get better. It has very slightly, but I am starting to think he may have a Cortical vision impairment. CVI is very common in children with Truitt's condition, but I always hoped he wouldn't have it. It essentially means that although his vision is fine, his brain may not have a normal perception of what he is seeing. It is not an eye condition, but more a brain condition.
I brought it up with Dr. B today, and he said he doesn't like to diagnose children with the condition until they are a bit older, but he does feel that Truitt is showing many signs of CVI. He also stated that Truitt is showing great signs too, that prove he may not have a severe case of CVI. I have been told that it sometimes gets better with age. I can only hope. It's a hard pill to swallow, knowing my child may not be able to see like we all can.
Unfortunately, it's part of the package. We can't fix his brain, only help it to improve. He starts vision therapy next week. I so hope it will help him.
No comments:
Post a Comment