It was no walk in the park either.
Of course there were moments when I almost broke down, but I stayed strong and fought off the tears. For the most part. I could never explain in words how it feels to take a baby with severe brain damage to a developmental clinic. I bet you can guess how it might feel, and it doesn't feel good. At all. It is an appointment filled with the harsh reality that our son may never talk, never walk, and will likely never know life as we all know it. That hurts as a mother, I will never get over that ache in my heart knowing that is our reality. His reality. I am just so sad for him sometimes.
To make things a little easier, the Developmental Pediatrician we saw today, Dr. F, was fantastic. She was just as sweet as could be, and sure made the visit much easier on us all. It helps a millions times over having a caring and compassionate doctor during these kind of appointments. She had a huge heart and I could sense her positive nature throughout the exam room. She was also very helpful, and made sure all of our questions were answered, thoroughly.
During today's appointment Truitt was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy, something we were expecting. It was not new news to us, and it didn't bother me a bit. Dr. F also put in an order for Truitt's leg braces which will help with his standing and as he works on walking. She was very impressed with his kicking and jumping (you know his new favorite thing to do). She thinks according to what she saw him doing today, we should plan on him becoming more mobile in the near future. That was good to hear.
She also loved how alert he was, and how great his disposition is. He smiled the whole time we were there! Nothing new for Truitt. He was born with a smile on his face. Everyone just loves him. He surely knows how to light up a room and bring smiles to everyone's faces. Today, he didn't fail, he brought his A game. And it worked.
Truitt's best friend is back. After 11 months apart, they have been reunited. Truitt and the Christmas tree.
He absolutely adores it. No matter where he is in the living room, he finds it and gazes at it. His vision therapist even recommended we put a small tree with multi-colored lights in his room year round when she saw how much he loves looking at it. I think that is a pretty good idea, except he would never want to leave his room. Ha!
I'm glad tonight I can rest easy. Good night!
1 comment:
Yesterday was not easy for you and Greg. No way can say "I know how you feel" because I really don't. As a Mother and Grandmother I can relate to the pain any parent feels when their child is hurting in any way. It amazing the strength we have to go on with life no matter what. I see Truitt as a beautiful and healthy boy who may have some challenges. As we have seen over and over, he is a true fighter. Through his joy and laughter he has shown us he is accepting of whatever he has to do. He gives of hope that whatever we face never give up!
Truitt loves life! May God continue to bless him and shine through his beautiful face.
Post a Comment