Wednesday, October 28, 2009

You can call us brave.

When Greg and I talked about when would be the right time to welcome another baby into our family, we knew it would come with many opinions from the people around us. We were prepared for people supporting us, not supporting us, and plain old thinking we are just crazy. We knew we wanted one soon, much sooner than later, and agreed that it would be best left up to God in it's timing.

I have learned many things in the last year, one thing being that God would never give me more than I can handle. I never ever thought I could handle the many things I HAVE handled in the last year. But I did. Having another baby is definitely something I know I can handle. And something that God knows we can handle as a couple as well. Quite frankly, I could handle many more kids right now than just two. Believe me.

We have received nothing but support and well wishes from everyone we have shared our wonderful news with. Thank you. The one thing that has caught me off guard, are our friends with young children, thinking we are crazy to do it all over again. I have heard many times we are brave. One thing they don't realize, is that they have it easy with a healthy child. We still have the strength, with all we have lived through the past 12 months, to open our hearts to another child. I get so frustrated sometimes when people think they have it hard with a healthy baby.

They have no idea what hard is. Be thankful for all you have.

Parenting is not work to me, parenting a child with special needs is. But to me, it's an honor, not a job. I can't wait to add to our family, to share our love with more children. That's what I'm here for, on this earth, to be a mom. God knows that, my family knows that. But call me brave if you want, I am just doing what I love to do.

2 comments:

Grandma McFarland said...

We are thrilled about the new addition to our family! I have said many times "never let someone's opinion dictate your life decisions". There are times when friends make remarks that will hurt....most of the time they don't mean too! Always remember you are the one who knows what you can handle. God will continue to bless you and Greg and Truitt!

Theresa Morris said...

Lauren, you do not know me - but your mother shared your beautiful blog with me. Truitt has captured my heart! :) Such a little doll. I am grandma to a very special little guy as well. When Brayden was 14 months old my daughter announced that a new little one was on the way. Felicity was born 1 month after Brayden turned 2. She has been such a healing blessing from God for every one of us - Brayden included. He loves his little sister so very much; and she is fiercely protective of him.

There is much to do with a special needs child, but every tiny thing they accomplish we celebrate with a passion. That is what the parents of a typical child do not understand. One can not know how positively amazing it is that a child can sit up - until you have one that can't. ( Yet!) Congratulations!!! Theresa Morris