Tuesday, May 5, 2009

No seizures!!!

It's official. Truitt didn't have one seizure yesterday! I am so happy, thrilled, appreciative and relieved. I have been waiting for this day for three months. I'm so glad they finally found a good medication that works for him. He is still only 5 days in and only on half the dose he will eventually be on. I couldn't ask for more.

This new medication, Keppra, not only took away his seizures but it also gave us back the old Truitt we knew and loved. The happy, playful, smiling baby we used to know before these seizures started. It is such a great feeling seeing him play, talk and interact without having a seizure. Just the way a babies life should be.

I have to confirm, I did indeed forget how good life was before the seizures. These past months I have worried about him night and day. I rarely could leave the room he was in, didn't want to take him out of the house, and was not able to get away from him for fear something would happen while I was gone. I now am so at ease, want to take him everywhere and thoroughly enjoy each second playing with him again. It's a whole new life.

Although I know he may still have a few small seizures, it is such a huge step for him to go a whole day without one. It proves to us he is moving in the right direction. Truitt is currently on three medications now, but they will soon be weaning him off of the other two. Our medicine giving routine is pretty complicated now.

  • Phenobarbital - he gets this every evening, 6 ml's, which is a lot of medicine for a baby. It tastes horrible and we have to fight it down him with a little milk each and every night. He has been on this medication since birth and always tolerated it really well, always keeping his seizures under control. Since it is not good to leave babies on this medication for more than six months, the neurologists began to wean him off of it three months ago, starting this whole fiasco. But we have to do what's best for his development.
  • Topamax - capsules with little white sprinkles which we put in his cereal, he gets two capsules twice a day and it's a pain in the rear! This is the medication they started after his long-term monitor EEG, which I paid $357.99 for, and has never controlled his seizures. Let's move on, very sore subject.
  • Keppra - his newest medication, and best friend! The one we have been searching and waiting for. This is by far the easiest to give him, his final regimen will be 1 ml twice daily by mouth. So easy. He even loves the taste of it. Delightful.
I will continue to update you with his progress as we move on with increasing the keppra and decreasing the pheobarb and topamax. Hopefully it will all go as planned and be smooth sailing for little Truitt. Happy Cinco De Mayo!

Lauren

3 comments:

Great Grandparents McFarland said...

How wonderful....God has ansewered our prayers. The amazing thing is that he has never been a fussy baby and always seems happy! He is a real fighter and has proven with patience in time things change! He is our perfect little boy....

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news!

Grandma McFarland said...

The song is just beautiful....really says so much about life!