Friday, May 8, 2009

Rough Night

Well I don't need to tell you what time it is since it is so conveniently listed at the bottom of this post, but its late and I can't sleep. Greg and Truitt are tightly tucked into bed and I am sitting here on the computer, trying to sort through my emotions. My mind has been going crazy tonight, for some reason and I don't know why.

As you may have already assumed, I have had a pretty uneventful week. In a good way. No bad days...just normal days that I recently have longed for. I am so proud of myself. I haven't felt like I am living a normal life until now. I think I finally have a hand on this "special" child parenting idea. As much as I hate to admit it, it feels good to be in this place of acceptance. But that doesn't mean I am free of tears. I still have those moments and I accept that too.

I accept that although Truitt may not be developmentally where his peers are, he is still normal. Not playing with toys and not putting his hands in his mouth is normal. Giving him three medications each morning and night, is normal. We know no difference, and I am learning that this is all ok. Babies that do those "normal" baby things, are abnormal to us.

I never looked at healthy children with so much amazement until I had the idea of a healthy child ripped away from me. I never realized how incredible they are. How much they learn, how much they change and they do it all without being taught. I am now praying for Truitt to learn things, desperately trying to teach him and all the while wondering how it usually just happens on its own. It doesn't make sense. I work so hard with him, often times when I am so tired and worn out, but I can't give up. He is counting on me.

I am so tired. Emotionally. Some things are starting to fall back into place, but its the reality of our life that I still fight with. Lately I have been thinking a lot about if Truitt were healthy. I know, its a horrible thing to do but I can't control it. I wonder what toys he would like the best. If he would pull my hair, or grab my earrings. If he would be able to hold his own bottle and eat finger foods. I still battle the thought of how things could have been.

What caused all of this? Was it preventable and was there something I could have done differently? It eats away at me sometimes and it makes me so angry. Why Truitt? I hate watching him continue to struggle, all the while being so happy. He has no idea how rough his life has been. He knows no different, and I love that. So innocent and unburdened by it all. He still wakes up each day with a smile and loves us unconditionally.

Lauren

5 comments:

Mom said...

Lauren, I want you to know that every breath a mom takes is for her child. When we think we can't keep going we look into our childs eyes and regain the strength to move on. You are showing amazing and courage that is admired by all who know you. Truitt will move mountains and we all will cherish evey little thing that he accomplishes thanks to all of your hard work and dedication. Right now it seems as these days are here to stay but every step of the way you will look back and smile because the fight was for Truitt. The world is his to discover even though he may be taking a different route with some bumps in the road. We are all here for you all; remember Truitt is our gift and will touch all who are graced with that Happy/smiling baby boy.

Love you!
MOM

Great Grandparents McFarland said...

Dear Lauren,
Because you are a true loveing Mother it is normal to have such feeling. As a child grows and developes each parent wonders "what will my child become", will he be healty, wealthy and wise. There are no guarentees for anyone...what is normal for each of us may not be for someone else. Like you said, Truitt life is so happy and what a joy he is. It is hard not to self examine yourself and wonder why! It was nothing that you did....as in "The Purpose Driven Life" God had a plan for you before you were born. We must trust that whatever it is with with God's help all things are possible. He has given you that special gift because he trusted in you. As your Grandmother I am so proud of your determination and courage. As I remember you as a child, you were always so loveing and careing to everyone. God has blessed you with this gift. Now, you have your beautiful life ahead of you with a wonderful baby and Greg. As you celebrate your 1st Mothers Day look forward and celebrate each day...looking back only to learn lessons and go forward to make each day better. I have learned so much from you and your determination to make everyday a blessing. Life is a roller coaster, it has its ups and downs....sometime you want to scream and sometime just laugh your head off....NO MATTER WHAT, ENJOY THE RIDE! Grandpa and I love you so much.

Amy - PMD said...

Lauren, Congratulations on your first Mothers Day!! Enjoy these days, even though you may be too exhausted to eat, think or do another load of laundry. Look how much he has grown since birth. Always smile and look at the blessing you are holding in your arms.

Grandma McFarland said...

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY LAUREN, Always remember no matter how bad you feel....start each day putting your makeup on...do your hair...put on something that makes you feel pretty...NOW GO FOR IT. Looking your best helps you get through day. We all know mothers are busy and need to take care of themself first. Bake a cake or put on a pot of soup...smells lift us up...Now enjoy the day :)

Judi said...

Lauren,
Happy Mother's Day. The first mother's day is very special but with each one they mean so much more. I feel like you are on year 20 already. You are a chosen special mother. Many women could not handle what you are doing. I have incredible respect for you. Truitt is adorable. I haven't seen him for a few months. I hope to see your family soon at your mom's house. Smile and enjoy the day! You have earned it!!!
Love you!!! Judi S.