Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

Yesterday was a wonderful day for all of us. A day to celebrate our dads. New dads and old ones a like. It was Greg's first Father's Day, a day he so deserves. I have looked forward to this day since I found out I was pregnant, because I knew he would be an incredible dad.

One year ago today, Greg had never changed a diaper, was so nervous to go within arms reach of a baby and was anxiously excited to become a dad. I was so excited for him, and I knew he would be an amazing father to our baby. I never would have wanted Greg to experience fatherhood in this light, but he takes it all with such stride and loves Truitt unconditionally.

He has taken every vision I had of him as a father and multiplied it by a million and more. He blows me away, his love is so strong, he would do anything for his son. Truitt has this special glow about him when he is around his daddy. The way he reacts to Greg is like nothing I've ever seen before. I know he looks up to him, as he always will. Greg has so much fun with Truitt and I can't wait to watch them throughout the years.

I hope so much that one day Greg will be able to throw the ball with Truitt. Teach him to play football and attend his soccer games. Just another hard thing about Truitt's condition, because I can't say if he ever will do those things. And if not, I know Greg won't mind, he will find ways to encourage Truitt to do what he can. I just want nothing more, than to see Greg and Truitt in the yard someday doing what fathers and sons do, spending time together.

God gave Greg to Truitt, and I know one day Truitt will be just like his daddy.


A soft soul, warm heart, a gentle touch, a caring man and a wonderful father. Happy Father's Day Greg! I love you with all my heart, and thank you for giving yourself to our son. I know he loves you.

1 comment:

Grandma McFarland said...

A SPECIAL DAD....Greg is all that and more! His love and devotion is so clear as you see how he looks into Truitts eyes! It is love that goes deeper than anyone can imagine! I am so proud of the man he is and how he has never let "the climb" seem to steep that its out of reach. We are so lucky to have been able to celebrate Fathers Day with all the special Dads in our family! It was a wonderful day!