Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Making progress...

I am working so hard on encouraging Truitt to do things that are age appropriate for him, keeping his strengths and weaknesses in mind. I try not to push him to do anything too far fetched, such as crawling, but rather the simple things that I can help him do. The arm connector has really come in handy with things like using both hands to play with toys and learning to hold his bottle. He is really starting to get the hang of it.

At first he really resisted when I tried to teach him to hold his bottle, he would stiffen his arms and clench his hands since he was working so hard. Now, he is much more relaxed and knows it is becoming a part of feeding time. I try to work with him each feeding so that he will associate it with eating and learn that he has to do it. I am doing my best to accept his challenges and work around them, helping him to achieve goals in his own way and on his own time line.

These past few weeks he has been showing much more progress. Yesterday while eating lunch with my Aunt Amy, I glanced over at Truitt and saw him rub his eye with his right hand! I have never seen him bring it anywhere near his face, so I was thrilled to see such a sight. It was amazing, its moments like that that prove to me he is making progress. Just 3 months ago he never bent his right arm, and now he is bringing it to his face. He is determined.

2 comments:

Grandma & Grandpa McFarland said...

NO TIME LINE....Each one developes at his own speed! Truitt is showing evening though he might have some delays that he is working hard to catch up! Go Truitt Go ;0). You are doing such a good job and helping him grow into a strong little boy! He will get there....like you have always said all the little things he does that most Mom's look past, you see as little miracles. This could be a true lesson for all of us to marvel at the little things in life. Like a smile that can melt your heart....Truitt is so good at that! How lucky we are to have such a beautiful family who has been given this challenge and has stepped up to meet it! You and Greg are a true inspiration to everyone! We love you both and are so proud of the parents you are! Love, Grandma and Grandpa McFarland

Grandma McFarland said...

Some how my name in the entry got messed up sorry....I promise you I had nothing to drink LOL