Thursday, July 16, 2009

9 Month Check-up

I hope you are sitting down, because this may be the most shocking words I have ever typed on this blog...

We had a WONDERFUL visit to the Pediatrician. I actually enjoyed being there. For the first time in Truitt's life I felt like he was any other healthy baby. The doctor we saw today was very positive and uplifting. It's about time!

Truitt is now 18 lbs. 8 oz. (25th percentile) and 28 1/4 in. (50th percentile), so he is growing nicely! As for his little head, it grew a fair amount as well. Still way off the charts, but it is on its own growth curve which Dr. R says is great, all that matters is that it is continuing to grow.


For the first time, this Pediatrician pointed out what Truitt IS doing, not what he should be doing. He actually never even said, "well he should be doing this." As a mom, I already know what he should be doing, so it is extremely important to me when someone tells me that what he IS doing is great. Reminding me that although he is delayed, he is continuing to develop and learn new things. On his own time.


Today was the first time I have ever left that office without crying. Better yet, I walked out of there today smiling, feeling even better than I did walking in. This is some kind of miracle, really, I never thought this day would come. This is how I want to feel after every trip to the Pediatrician, and with this new Pediatrician we saw today (at the same practice, we have just never seen him before) I think it is finally possible. Possible for me to leave there without going into a deep depression for the days following.

Don't you worry, I even filled him in on how cold the other Pediatricians were to us and exactly how they made me feel, leaving me crying during each visit. He was very apologetic to us and was genuinely shocked to hear it, I could tell. I gave him all of my opinion on how awful it feels to be treated that way with what we are living through.

I thanked him many times for saving us more heartache, and I look forward to seeing him again. Now I know tomorrow won't be this easy, there is just no way around it. So I'm glad I will get to enjoy today.

2 comments:

Grandma McFarland said...

Wonderful! Prayers are answered once again. I have always said he is doing so good. It's hard to believe he will not continue to improve with each visit.

So glad you expressed to the Dr. what you have gone through each time you had to go there! He needed to hear it and you needed to say it! GOOD FOR YOU! Enjoy this beautiful day and keep thanking God for all the blessings!

Lisa E. said...

That is so AWESOME! I was so afraid to check the blog because it breaks my heart to see you in pain but this was wonderful to hear!!! Give him kisses!