Good news. The appointment went very well. Dr. B was happy to see that Truitt's eye sight is still near perfect for his age. His problem lies in his central brain stem, which is completely unrelated to his brain injury. I was so relieved to hear that again. The central brain stem controls the muscles of the eyes, and sometimes, it doesn't quite do its job as it should. This condition causes the muscles of the eyes to tighten which leads to the crossing of one or both eyes.
The way to correct this condition is surgery. They will go in and relieve the muscles in each eye to compensate for what the central brain stem isn't doing. Dr. B would like to see Truitt two more times, with two months in between each visit, before he schedules the surgery. That way he will have a better idea of eactly how much or how little the muscles need relieved.
He will not need glasses, which is a relief for me. Can you just imagine keeping glasses on an active baby? Wears me out just thinking about it. So in roughly four months I will have to hand him over again for another surgery. I know it is very minor procedure, but the anesthesia thing always freaks me out. It is typically an outpatient surgery performed at Children's, but he did worn me they may keep Truitt over night because of his heart condition. Better safe than sorry, so I am all for it.
So one down and two to go for the week. I hope the other two appointments go this well, although I am prepared if they don't. I still haven't heard any news on my ultrasound results, so that is just adding to this nervous state of mind I'm now living in.
2 comments:
Nothing is as bad as it seems! All the worrying didn't change a thing ;0). So glad his eyes are going to be corrected with a little surgery! However if he did need glasses he would look adorable in them! Looking forward to your results too!
Yeah! Good to hear the news about his eyes. I agree with your Grandmother, he would look adorable in glasses.
Your in my thoughts and prayers for your next two days. We are all here pulling for you!
Post a Comment