Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's a Success!

Our day started bright and early, 4:30 am to be exact. Greg and I arrived at the hospital at 6 am and got to spend some time holding Truitt. The Chaplain came by and said a beautiful prayer for our dear son just before surgery. At 8:25 am, Truitt went into the operating room, a little later than the scheduled time. About three hours later the surgeon spoke with us and let us know that everything went very well and just as planned. The coarctation was easily repaired with no complications. As for Truitt, he did great as well! I felt like I could not thank Dr. Phillips enough, there stood a man that just saved my sons life. How can you ever thank someone for that gift? The news just got even better when we learned that his left ventricle was indeed strong enough to support the newly increased blood supply from the repaired aorta. Originally the cardiologists were concerned it may not be large enough to handle the healthy blood supply. But it is!

When Truitt was in recovery he had a little bit of a hard time waking up. Just after coming out of the anesthesia, he slept for a solid two hours...which sent him a little into shock when he woke up in pain :( It absolutly broke my heart. He knew we were there with him and I could sense we brought him some comfort. The nurses were very quick with relieving the pain and he was soon very relaxed...ahhh such a relief for us! He looked great after surgery, so much better than I expected. His surgery went remarkably well and I want to thank each and every one of you for all of the prayers! I believe they truly play a big part in all of Truitt's success. Below I have two pictures of him right before surgery and one after. The one with the ventilator was taken right after surgery...but he was taken off of it about 4 hours later. He is just so strong and keeps proving that to us more and more. Please continue to pray for a quick recovery...and hopefully he will come home very soon!

2 comments:

Grandma Sankey said...

Greg, hopefully all goes well and you'll have your little turkey home for Thanksgiving. I Love You, Mom

Anonymous said...

Truitt, You teach me about the true meaning of a miracle everyday when I look in your eyes.

Grandma loves you!!!